7 Thoughts on Choosing the Best Prostate Cancer Surgeon
Getting a cancer diagnosis comes with treatment decisions that need to be made while our emotions are running high. Let’s take a moment and consider the following 7 thoughts to help make the right choice for you and your family.
- The right choice — The right urologist will have experience in the realm of urological oncology. They will also have specialized in prostate cancer.
- The Surgeon is still learning — A surgeon who is still learning, is a surgeon who is striving to hone their skills and become better.
- Confidence in his/her abilities —When a surgeon walks in the examining room, their patient should know right away that they have read their file and have a game plan. Throughout the visit, the surgeon can remain cool under fire.
- Use plain language — Your surgeon should be able to give you answers in a way you can understand. Your surgeon may not know what is to be seen once you are in the operating room, they will be able to explain any circumstances that could happen.
- Availability and Accessibility— Your spouse and family members will have questions. The surgeon you choose should be available and accessible to answer these questions. Your surgeon should be willing to speak with your team of doctors. During the post — opt period, your surgeon should be available to talk with you as well.
- No Self Promotion — Self-promotion is not a bad thing. All surgeons will advertise themselves. While this is good, taking a moment to discern whether your surgeon knows reality or just wants you as another success story.
- Be the center — Your surgeon should make you feel like you are important. They will work for you, not some major company or device manufacturer.